Terms and Conditions
The following document outlines the Terms and Conditions governing the use of the Forest Row Village Hall. Before using the Village Hall, you are required to read, understand, and agree to these Terms and Conditions. If you wish to download a copy of these Terms and Conditions, please see the documents section here.
If you have any queries or concerns, please contact us.
- The ‘hirer’ is the person completing the booking form and is responsible for ensuring that the Terms and Conditions are adhered to for the duration of the hire.
- The hirer must be at least 21 years of age.
- A booking form must be submitted.
- Provisional bookings may be made but must be confirmed within 7 days by submitting a booking form.
- The Management Committee reserves the right to refuse a booking application
- The Management Committee reserves the right to refuse certain activities to take place, e.g. roller-skating.
- A refundable deposit is required to secure your booking.
- Deposits will be returned to the hirer within 10 days of receipt of repayment details
- A proportion (or total) of the deposit may be deducted if:
- Damage is caused
- Extra cleaning is required
- The event runs past the time booked
- Hire charges have not been paid and the booking is cancelled within 14 days of the event
- If these Terms and Conditions have been breached or hirers generate significant extra work for the hall management.
- Any disputes regarding the return of deposits must be made in writing to the Management Committee.
- Residents of Forest Row Civil Parish benefit from a reduced hall hire tariff; this is in accordance with our Charity’s objectives.
- Hall hire tariff is dependent on the type of event which must be declared on the booking form.
- There is a minimum hire period of 1.5 hours.
- Booking time must include hirer’s own time needed for setting up and clearing away (not just the published time of the event).
- Payment of hall hire charges (separate to the deposit) must be paid in full before the event takes place. The Management Committee reserves the right to cancel a booking if hall hire charges have not been paid.
- If a booking is cancelled within 14 days of the hire date no refund will be given. Any disputes must be made in writing to the Management Committee.
- For a series of weekly events, commercial hirers must pay the first month’s instalment in advance. Thereafter, commercial hirers will be invoiced monthly in arrears. Payment must be made within 30 days of the invoice.
- If unpaid invoices accrue for longer than 90 days, the Management Committee reserve the right to cancel the booking and/or decline future bookings or to require payment in advance for future bookings.
- For all public events, the wheel chair access door must be open. This is located opposite the booking office. The ramp light is located under the Fire Alarm Panel.
- Hirers responsible for putting out and clearing away any tables and chairs required. Hirers should use the chair trolley(s) available to prevent damage to the floors and to reduce the need for manual handling.
- Hirers are expected to leave the hall and the surrounding area in a clean and tidy condition.
- Landfill and recycling bins are provided. Hirers must take away any glass recycling and any excess rubbish.
- No sticky tape should be applied to the walls or floor
- Any damage must be reported to the booking office at the earliest opportunity.
- Hirers should ensure that noise does not disrupt other hall users or local residents.
- Music must cease at midnight.
- When leaving, all lights must be switched off, the heating turned down to frost setting and windows and fire doors closed securely.
- Opening and Closing Procedures must be adhered to.
Health and Safety
- At all times, the hirer must take reasonable steps to ensure appropriate precautions are in place to prevent accidents, damage or injury.
- Smoking, naked flames and smoke machines are prohibited.
- Hirers are responsible for making themselves aware of the location of fire extinguishing equipment. All fire extinguishing equipment is inspected regularly and must be kept in their proper places and used for no other purposes.
- All fire exits, gangways, corridors, stairs and external passageways to be kept free from obstruction at all times (including wheelchairs)
- Hirers must use ladders safely within the hall and do so at their own risk.
- Hirers are responsible for any electrical equipment used on site.
- All portable electrical equipment brought into the hall must have an up to date PAT Test.
- All spillages must be cleared up immediately to prevent slips.A mop and bucket and other cleaning materials are available for hirer’s use in both halls.
- First Aid boxes are located in the Freshfield Hall kitchen and the Peter Griffits Hall servery. The nearest defibrillator is located outside Lloyds pharmacy, opposite the East side of the Village Hall.
- Any accidents must be recorded in the Accident Books located with each First Aid Box.
- Hirers are responsible for ensuring that all windows, doors and fire exists are closed and secure.
- The keys or keycode must not be passed on to third parties without explicit permission of the booking office. Keys must not be identifiable as belonging to Forest Row Village Hall.
- Hirers must not use the keys for any other purpose other than opening and closing for their own booked events.
- Lost Property will be kept for 28 days.
Forest Row Village Hall holds a Theatre Licence and a Public Entertainment Licence [WEA/LN/000002968). The conditions and regulations governing the issue of these licences must be strictly observed.
In accordance with this licence:
The number of persons permitted shall not exceed:
Freshfield Hall (Large hall)
- 190 Persons dancing
- 180 Persons closely seated
- 95 Persons at any function where the assembly is not closely seated
- 130 Persons when used for functions combining i) and ii) above
Peter Griffits Hall (Small hall)
- 130 Persons dancing
- 120 Persons closely seated
- 65 Persons at any function where the assembly is not closely seated
- 90 Persons when used for functions combining i) and ii) above
Music Copyright: The Village Hall is licensed with the Performing Rights Society for the performance of copyrighted live music controlled by the aforementioned society.
Recording Copyright: The Hirer for an event where a licence fee is payable for the public performance of recorded music (e.g. CDs, mp3s, streamed music, records, tapes etc) shall be responsible for obtaining the necessary licence from Phonographic Performances Ltd.
Betting, Gaming and Lotteries: All such activities shall not contravene any laws in place relating to betting, gaming and lotteries.
Sale of Alcohol: If you intend to sell alcohol at your event, you must have written authorisation, under the Licensing Act 2003. Please contact the Booking Office for more information.
- Forest Row Village Hall is covered by Public Liability Insurance. As a condition precedent to our liability:
- If the hirer uses any bouncy castle and/or other land-based inflatable, the hall hirer must ensure that:
- Access and use are controlled by an adult authorised by the hirer at all times.
- Soft matting is used to cover hard surfaces adjacent to the front or any open sides where there is a risk of injury from falling from the inflatable.
- Manufacturer’s or supplier’s safety recommendations are followed
- If the hirer applies any face paints or henna tattoos, to ensure they are not applied to any person:
- Under three years old
- Who has open cuts or sores on their face
- Who has a cold sore or conjunctivitis or any other known infectious skin condition
- Carry out a skin test prior to the application of any face paints or henna tattoos where any person has food allergies or allergic reactions to soaps, skin creams and the like
- Clean any equipment before each application
- Only use professional face paints and henna tattoos that comply with current safety legislation or regulations.
- Hirers must obtain any relevant insurance for their event.
- The Hirer shall be responsible for ensuring that the requirements of relevant legislation are strictly observed.
- Commercial hirers are required to provide the Booking Office with a copy of their insurance upon request.